Incorporate machine vision into your industrial laser marking, cutting, drilling or welding system for high-precision process alignment, optical recognition and verification, and to ensure quality consistency.
- Multiple vision configurations available
- Feature location laser guidance
- Vision assisted robotic laser automation
Laser Automation with Vision
Vision systems are a crucial component in the manufacturing process, especially in laser applications such as marking, drilling, etching, and engraving. More than half of the custom laser systems we create include a vision element, each with different degrees of complexity.
At its core, machine vision offers location information, guidance, and verification for laser processes. Thanks to advances in technology and our expertise, we are able to integrate vision in more sophisticated ways, resulting in higher accuracy, quality, and repeatability.
Machine Vision Technology & Solutions
We provide multiple vision configurations for our laser systems, including off-axis direct, off-axis angled, and through-the-optics. Each configuration has its own distinct application and is essential for specific laser processing methods. The majority of our systems incorporate some type of vision technique for marking, cutting, drilling, and welding laser applications.
- Off-Axis Direct – The camera and laser are parallel and point toward the part/fixture. This requires the laser to be positioned twice over the processing location—for the camera and laser functions.
- Off-Axis Angled – While the laser points downward, the camera sits at an angle—eliminating the need for motion between the laser and camera position. Software corrects any image distortion using perspective calibration.
- Through the Optics – On-axis, or through the optics vision (TTOV) is where the camera uses the same lens and mirrors as the laser. This reduces the field of view but is extremely fast and provides high resolution and magnification.
Machine vision systems identify and guide the laser’s functions through various methods. Vision can retrieve product data by scanning attached travel documentation on the fixture, determine the orientation of a part with feature detection, and perform pre/post process validation.
- Pass/Fail verification – the system verifies the presence of a mark, hole or weld.
- Dimensions – the system ensures the dimensions and positioning are accurate
- Legibility – OCR/OCV processes verifies the compliance of 2D matrices according to industry standards.
- Part Orientation – uses feature location to determine where to process—useful for guiding robots
The ability to validate a laser’s actions in real time is essential for high-speed manufacturing lines. Using our On-the-Fly laser processing technology, our vision systems monitor parts as they move through the manufacturing line without stopping.
- Verify barcode data on packaging moving on conveyors
- Detect hole size, shape, and position on drilled tablets
- Monitor part alignment in high-speed extrusion lines
Laser Machines with Machine Vision
Mark, cut, drill, and weld with accuracy
Laser Marking Saw Blades with Machine Vision
For loading stacks of heavy metal parts into a laser marking machine, the most effective way to account for variations in part positioning is by using machine vision technology. This ensures that each part is accurately positioned for optimal laser marking results.
- Laser mark multiple saw blade sizes with high-contrast markings of logos and part information
Robotic Laser Marking Automation
By utilizing 6-axis robots and machine vision technology, our laser marking machines can integrate an off-axis system for detecting part orientation. This guarantees that every laser marking is precisely placed based on feature detection, resulting in optimal accuracy and precision.
- Machine vision detects if a part is present and the rotation of the part in the fixture
High-Speed Laser Drilling with Machine Vision
With our on-the-fly processing technology, we can achieve laser drilling speeds of up to 140,000 pharmaceutical tablets per hour. Our system incorporates dual 200% vision inspection for every tablet, ensuring the highest level of quality control.
- Dual machine vision after drilling with separate reject bins
Laser Machines with Vision Systems
The Absolute Best Customer Service Around
Working with Control Micro Systems has been very easy. They have been attentive to our needs and worked to help us tremendously with our older model machine and new machines. We are pleased with the performance of their machines.
In the three years ACR has owned the CMS laser, it has worked flawlessly. In the few instances where ACR needed support in programming, CMS was quick to respond.
CMS have been excellent partners in the development of new, complex equipment for our business. CMS built multiple machines for us. Each machine had a different purpose, however the CMS team worked openly & honestly with us to agree on optimal solutions for each one.
We Partner With You
To develop solutions, solve problems, & create efficiencies.