Incorporate machine vision into your industrial laser system for high-precision process alignment, optical recognition and verification, and to ensure quality consistency.
- Multiple vision configurations available
- Feature location laser guidance
- Vision assisted robotic automation
Increase Your Efficiency
An integral part of manufacturing, vision systems are useful in many laser applications, including marking, drilling, etching and engraving. Over half of our custom laser systems incorporate some vision element—all with varying levels of complexity.
At its most basic level, vision provides verification, guidance and location information for laser processes. Today’s technology—coupled with our expertise—has enabled us to integrate vision in more refined ways to increase your accuracy, repeatability and quality.
Machine Vision Technology & Solutions
We offer a variety of vision configurations for our laser systems—off-axis direct, off-axis angled, and through-the-optics. Each serves a particular purpose and is required for certain processing methods. A majority of our systems incorporate some type of vision technique.
- Off-Axis Direct – The camera and laser are parallel and point toward the part/fixture. This requires the laser to be positioned twice over the processing location—for the camera and laser functions.
- Off-Axis Angled – While the laser points downward, the camera sits at an angle—eliminating the need for motion between the laser and camera position. Software corrects any image distortion using perspective calibration.
- Through the Optics – On-axis, or through the optics vision (TTOV) is where the camera uses the same lens and mirrors as the laser. This reduces the field of view but is extremely fast and provides high resolution and magnification.
Machine vision systems identify and guide the laser’s functions through various methods. Vision can retrieve product data by scanning attached travel documentation on the fixture, determine the orientation of a part with feature detection, and perform pre/post process validation.
- Pass/Fail verification – the system verifies the presence of a mark, hole or weld.
- Dimensions – the system ensures the dimensions and positioning are accurate
- Legibility – OCR/OCV processes verifies the compliance of 2D matrices according to industry standards.
- Part Orientation – uses feature location to determine where to process—useful for guiding robots
The ability to validate a laser’s actions in real time is essential for high-speed manufacturing lines. Using our On-the-Fly laser processing technology, our vision systems monitor parts as they move through the manufacturing line without stopping.
- Verify barcode data on packaging moving on conveyors
- Detect hole size, shape, and position on drilled tablets
- Monitor part alignment in high-speed extrusion lines
Machine Vision Assisted Robots
Our robotic solutions can incorporate an off-axis vision system for detecting part orientation for the robot. This ensures every mark is placed exactly where it needs to be based on feature detection.
The Absolute Best Customer Service Around
Working with Control Micro Systems has been very easy. They have been attentive to our needs and worked to help us tremendously with our older model machine and new machines. We are pleased with the performance of their machines.
In the three years ACR has owned the CMS laser, it has worked flawlessly. In the few instances where ACR needed support in programming, CMS was quick to respond.
CMS have been excellent partners in the development of new, complex equipment for our business. CMS built multiple machines for us. Each machine had a different purpose, however the CMS team worked openly & honestly with us to agree on optimal solutions for each one.
We Partner With You
To develop solutions, solve problems, & create efficiencies.