On-The-Fly Marking & Cutting Solutions
High-speed laser marking for parts in continual motion with velocity tracking. Discover the potentials of our on-the-fly technology for part marking.
High-Speed Laser Processing Solutions
On-the-Fly (OTF) marking and drilling is a technique that allows a laser system to process parts while they are in motion. Oftentimes in automated manufacturing environments, stopping parts on a production line is not cost effective or feasible and the need for processing these parts becomes important. At CMS Laser, our engineers are experts at designing and manufacturing laser systems that incorporate OTF processing for applications such as laser marking, laser drilling, laser cutting, and many more.
The Laser Experts of On-the-Fly Technology
- Velocity Tracking – Software can track steady state motion, accelerations, and decelerations in real-time based on encoder feedback.
- Simulated On-the-Fly – A simpler version of on-the-fly marking is where average velocity is either set by the software or represented by an analog voltage to track a part moving at a constant velocity.
- In The Round and Straight Path Tracking – Most on-the-fly applications track parts in a straight path but CMS systems can also track parts as they move in an arced path or at an angle to the galvo head if required.
Our marking systems are capable of high-speed laser marking of products and packaging, such as cardboard boxes, glassware, and aluminum cans. On-the-fly laser coding systems are used for marking date codes, born-on dates, serial numbers, and other tracking related information.
Our On-the-Fly tablet drilling laser systems integrate ultra-fast galvos and software controls to accurately drill up to 140,000 pharmaceutical tablets per hour. These systems utilize trepanning to ensure every drilled hole meets its required tolerance. Once the initial hole is set, the laser spirals outwards—expanding the hole by a specified range.
We build On-the-Fly wire marking systems that exceed speeds of 600 feet per minute. In addition to meeting MIL-SPEC requirements, these systems can incorporate marking, stripping and cutting capabilities and have been battle-tested in some of the world’s most demanding manufacturing environments.
Extrusion is a high-volume manufacturing process, during which raw materials are melted and formed into continuous profiles. It produces items like PVC pipe and other tubing, window frames, thermoplastic coatings, wire insulation and more. Many of these products require high-speed, accurate part marking, cutting and drilling—making laser technology a perfect fit.
Distance Marking – On-the-fly laser marking systems are often used to mark distance labels along the length of a part such as tubing, wire, tape, fiber optics or other products.
- 2D Data Matrix / QR Code / 1D Barcode Marking – On-the-fly marking systems can mark barcodes as the part is traveling through the scanning field.
- Product Packaging On-the-Fly – Laser mark date codes and serial numbers on product packaging traveling at high-speeds on conveyor belts.
- Coated Medical Wire Stripping – On-the-fly ablation or laser removal of coated copper medical wires used in medical device manufacturing.
- Irrigation Industry – Laser slitting/cutting of irrigation drip tape as it exits the extrusion machine at high speeds. Use machine vision to detect emitters for precise placement of slits. Laser mark manufactured dates and logos onto extruded tubing.
6 Advantages To High Speed On The Fly Laser Systems
How On The Fly Laser Systems Meet The Challenges Of Plastic Extrusion Lines
The Absolute Best Customer Service Around
Working with the entire Control Micro Systems team on our project was a pleasure. CMS was capable of meeting and exceeding our goals. They successfully designed and built a machine which increased our throughput by 550%! We are so glad we chose to move forward with CMS.
In the three years ACR has owned the CMS laser, it has worked flawlessly. In the few instances where ACR needed support in programming, CMS was quick to respond.
CMS have been excellent partners in the development of new, complex equipment for our business. CMS built multiple machines for us. Each machine had a different purpose, however the CMS team worked openly & honestly with us to agree on optimal solutions for each one.
We Partner With You
To develop solutions, solve problems, and create efficiencies.